Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bringing My "A" Game

Moms juggle a lot. Especially, when it comes to our family schedules. Whether you have newborns or school age children, it can look like carefully coordinated color coded game pieces on a calendar.
The way we can multi task is a wonder that leaves many a man’s head in complete awe and disbelief when he stops to notice. The balls we keep in the air hanging in perfect balance is really a true trick of the trade to be mastered. Never mind, the times they all come crashing down at once without us catching even one of them.
When I hear my mom friends talk about all they fit in their day, I always think, “You are one amazing woman”. It is true. God made us absolutely incredible.
There are good days and there are bad days, there are easy days and there are hard days, there are fun days and there are terrible days. There are the days we are on top of it all, ahead of the game and there are days we are under it all and behind the ball.
I have found that for me, my day goes much smoother when I get up before the kids get up. This can be a challenge as  I try to fit my shower time, husband time, wrap up chore time, and pleasure reading or TV watching time in all before my bed time. Not to mention, this all has to be done within a short window after the kids go to bed.
I consider myself to be pretty good at putting together an effective schedule that works for our family. I love structure and I thrive on it. But it took a suggestion from one of my mentor moms who said, “Why don’t you put the kids down for their naps earlier?” Therefore, I can put them to bed earlier, have a little more time with hubby, and get to bed earlier so I can get up earlier. Brilliance, I tell you.  Why hadn’t I thought of this before? I immediately tweaked our schedule by about 30-60 minutes all the way around our day and voila, we hit a homerun out of the park.
It still takes some discipline and maneuvering around.  And the hardest part? Making myself go to bed instead of blogging or reading or watching TV.  I am not a night owl nor do I believe in ever getting up at such an ungodly hour of 5 am something in the morning. I highly value my sleep.
But when I get up 30-60 minutes before anyone else in the house and I have my cup of coffee or hot tea (depending on what kick I am on), read my Bible, have a talk with Jesus, get dressed and put my make-up on. It makes a world of difference in how my day goes from that time on. I am not stressed or racing around or snapping at my kids to hurry up. I actually can enjoy the morning with my family. There is something calm and almost holy about the wee hours of the morning. There is a serene beauty to behold as the sun rises over the horizon. It just sets my whole mind and being at peace.
This doesn’t happen every single morning but when I do, I know I am bringing my “A” game to the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment