Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Seasons of Life

We have our college days and then our first career years. Then our newly -wed years, and baby years, toddler years and school age years, middle school, high school, and empty nest years, grandparents, and retirement years or vise-versa. The seasons of our lives change on a consistent basis.
Right now I am in the toddler days which is a little easier than the baby years. The glorious toddler season.  When they are so precious and adorable you just want to eat them up and never let them grow up. Also known as the pulling your hair out, into everything, temper tantrum throwing, mess making, behavior training days that you are on countdown until kindergarten begins. Ahhh, life, isn’t wonderful? So beautiful and overwhelming all at the same time.
My kid’s baby years were probably the busiest time of my life. Right up there next to it would be the season my husband changed companies and opened a brand new office, we closed on the house we were building and got married and moved in all in a 3 month period. Don’t recommend it.  3 of the top 5 stressors in life all happened at the same time. We figured if we made it through that, we can make it through anything.
Anyways, back to the baby stuff. During those two years, I was leading a moms group at our church all while learning how to be a mom to tiny babies. My kids are 20 months apart so there was lots of nights with little sleep, another challenging pregnancy, another c-section, nursing never ending, all while working during naptimes and night times to get my stuff done for the mom’s group not to mention the daily housework .  Talk about being exhausted while trying to figure out how to still be an attentive, giving wife to my devoted husband. You know all about that. Poor guy’s, don’t stand a chance next to a newborn. Trial and error. Grace and mercy. That’s all I have to say.
After my two years of leading the mom’s group was done, I slept. I mean I slept a lot. My husband and I went away for a few days and I slept half the time. Good thing it was when he was in his business meetings. I continued to sleep for a couple of months. I went to bed early to get my long 9 hours at night and then I took a short nap during the day. Someone asked me if I was pregnant. Nope. Thank God He knows what we can handle.
Slowly, my strength returned to me. By the time my son was 18 months old, I finally felt like me again. I noticed my stamina returned and my ability to think more clearly and my desire to do more family activities. My husband said to me, ‘It’s good to have you back’.
At the end of January marked 8 months of what I call my season of rest. And I am so grateful for it.
As February begins, I sense the winds of change blowing again. Whatever it brings, it will be a different season of life.
“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.” Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment