Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Easier To Live With


As I get older, I see how people are evolving as they age above me or beside me.  Some do it with grace, poise and laughter. Some do it with a sense of entitlement, resentment and bitterness. Some people I just feel sorry for as I see their own demise unfolding at their own choices in life. Family and friends are distancing themselves further and further away from them.

And then I watch as some practice keeping their mouth closed, practicing self -denial and self- discipline, giving up their own wishes and living to serve others. Everyone wants to be around them, ask for their advice and know their secrets.

I can be high maintenance at times. I can be picky and difficult. I like to drink out of a cup with ice and a straw, I like to only stay in certain hotels, I like my house to be perfect when company comes over, I like to have my tea with 2 tablespoons of honey and my coffee with a lot of creamer. I am very particular about how to pack, travel and stay elsewhere with kids. I like to pre plan all the details. I like to abide to a strict schedule when it comes to sleeping and eating times. I tell myself this is all ok right now because it makes my family operate more efficiently.

But what about when it comes to things down the road like my kid’s choice of style or hobbies, or the college they choose or the mate they marry and the wedding of their desire. Then one day I will be staying in their homes and traveling to see them and hopefully playing with their kids.

I don’t want people to think I am too difficult and opinionated to have around. I guess I better start working on that stuff now. I can practice letting other’s have their way. I can choose to go with the flow better. I can try to just enjoy the ride instead of planning every moment ahead of time.

I want my friends and family members to want me around as I get older.

God, help me to become easier and easier to live with.


1 comment:

  1. Your transparency is amazing! Oh and I love being around you! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete