Friday, January 27, 2012

Don't Compare


We all do it. We compare ourselves, our kids, our husbands, our bank accounts, our houses, our trips, our cars, our clothes, our hair, our everything!
Which is really ridiculous if you stop to think about it. We are created equal but we are not all the same. Our husbands are different, their jobs are different, our kids are all different, our households run differently. Can I get an Amen?
Even in the church, we compare who is more godly than each other. Who goes to bible study more, who prays more, who serves more. I am sure the Lord loves that one. Come on peoples, the Bible gives us a clear outline as to how the family is suppose to operate but within those guidelines, there is much room for uniqueness. We don’t all have to live like the Dugger’s family to be a godly family. Hallelujah , anyone? ( I do have great respect for them though.)
Let me tell you what. These two simple little words freed me up completely. One of my mentor’s mantra’s is, “Don’t Compare.” When I stopped comparing, I became so much more content and happy with my lot in life. Not saying I have conquered the monster completely.
Now part of this is, we need to make sure to surround ourselves with friends who are not going to bait us with jealousy but encourage us to be everything God wants us to be. What if we met with our group or posse and just decided we were all going to keep each other accountable in not comparing our lives. And if we have friendships that don’t allow this freedom, maybe we should think about pulling back from those who do not celebrate our differences with us.
When I stopped comparing things like how many times my husband has brought me home flowers, how many times we talk on the phone a day and how many ministries we serve in together, everything in our marriage got better.
I am still working on trying not to compare myself to other moms. Well, she is a better mom because she homeschools her 3 year old and does art projects every day. Or she cooks a gourmet organic meal every night and her house is spotless. Or she always has something fun planned and doesn’t allow any TV in their house. Or she makes such cool things for her kids and doesn’t ever seem to be stressed. There is always something to work on. But if I mother out of my natural God given abilities, everyone in our household is more at peace because I am just being me and not trying to be someone else.
And if we aren’t busy comparing ourselves to others, we can teach our kids not to compare themselves which will help them greatly in this world.
Two simple words, “Don’t Compare!” It will change our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Amen Misty! We need to hear this more often. We need to be reminded that God loves us and we don't need to be like so-and-so to get his love! Thanks for that uplifting message!

    ReplyDelete