Monday, January 30, 2012

My Plate is Only This Big

We all have different limitations and capabilities, right? As wise women, we need to be able to correctly evaluate how much we can handle on our plates. Without comparing ourselves to someone else.
I feel like the Lord made my plate small to medium size. I can only handle so much and do it well. My first responsibility is to be an excellent wife and then a diligent mom. Those jobs alone take up most of me. But I also like serving in ministry.
How do I achieve the perfect balance? Is it really possible or just a mystical illusion to shoot for? I can’t imagine what moms go through who also work full time. How do you have two full time jobs and still be happy, healthy and whole? Glad I don’t have to figure that one out.
When someone asks me to add something to my plate by joining, serving or giving somewhere, I have to stop and think about it for awhile. Do I have the time and energy? Can I still keep my house in order? Can I maintain my happy disposition in being a wife and mom first?
Now sometimes, adding something can actually benefit us. It can give us an outlet, give us motivation, give us something to focus on besides just ourselves.
But sometimes, it can worsen our situation. It can make us more tired or cranky and short with our families. It can affect the ebb and flow in our households to be out of whack causing chaos, discord and dissention. If mama ain’t happy, than nobody’s happy. Oh so true it is.
Some of my friends have a large to extra large plate. They work outside of the home, they do several volunteer ministries, they are a great mom and wife, and they still find time to look good and have fun. They do it all with style and class. This is not me, not whatsoever. Not happening, no way.
And I am ok with that. Part of it is my personality that likes everything done in an orderly fashion. Part of it is how I was born, the physical make-up of my body cannot take a lot of stress. Part of it is how my household and marriage functions and operates.
If I am feeling like my plate is getting too heavy and things are starting to pile up and fall of the plate completely, than it is time to re-evaluate what I have put on my plate.
I just have to tell people, my plate is only this big.



No comments:

Post a Comment