Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Vacation

My husband and I try to get away just the two of us for a few days every year. His company used to take us on all expensed paid vacations and put us up at the Ritz Carlton in a different tropical paradise once a year but that was before the recession and before kids. There is no place like the Ritz.

Seriously, like we really needed a vacation before kids. What did we do with our time anyways when we were home? Anything we wanted to do, that’s what!

Now it’s a whole different ball game. It takes a lot of planning and preparing to go out of town. First, you have to take care of the kids and get them all situated and then you can worry about packing for yourselves. Which usually happens at the last minute and I usually forget some basic necessities like pajamas. Well, maybe that is not so much of a problem.

My husband and I just got to go away for our 6th anniversary. It seems like our wedding was just a year or two ago. Then we watch our video and we look like kids except I think it’s having the kids that has aged us!

Anyways, I digress. Our time away was amazing. I mean, we slept in, ate in bed, laid out at the pool. We got to work out and play tennis together. We had maid service who cleaned up after us. We got to read and I got to blog. We watched movies, we did not prepare any meals. There was some serious rest, relaxation and romance going on. It’s scary to think how much I could have slept with those black out curtains and no children calling my name. We just go and go and go and don’t realize how tired we are until we stop and then our bodies respond by completely letting down.

Um, why don’t we do this more often? Money, kids, time, responsibilities, jobs. Oh ya, all of that. It’s called life and that’s why we need a vacation in the first place.

It is wonderful to come home to see those precious little faces that seemed to change in the few days we were gone, hear their voices scream mommy, feel their little arms around my neck and snuggle their bodies against my own. A renewed and fresh outlook on how blessed I am to be a mommy and be the one to care for my kids day in and day out.

Someday, our kids will grow up and move out. And it will just be the two of us again. That day will come sooner than we think. And we will have a lot more time to do all the things we want to do. Somehow, I think that we might actually miss all of this blessed chaos.

But for now, we will look forward to our annual trip alone together. Ahhhhh, vacation.








1 comment: